If you have a scheduled operation, it is better to prepare yourself days before to avoid any problems that may occur. The following are some of the things that you can do:
- If you are overweight, try to reduce weight before the operation to minimize the risks associated with the procedure.
- If you smoke, try to cut down or totally stop, to avoid having breathing problems during and after the operation.
- Normally, at least 6 hours before your operation, you should not take anything by mouth. Including gum, water, etc. This ensures that your stomach is empty when the anaesthetics are administered. If your stomach is full, the liquid or the food can regurgitate and damage your lungs.
- If you have medication that you take regularly, seek advice regarding the intake of these medicines prior to your operation.
- If you are not feeling well before your operation, inform your surgeon immediately to check your condition.